You can drastically prolong the beauty of your carpet and greatly improve the healthful quality of your home environment if you:
1) Don’t wear shoes on your carpet (especially outdoor shoes) as the treads abrade and scuff the carpet filaments more than wearing socks or soft soled slippers.
2) Don’t consume foodstuffs over carpet. Food crumbs and beverage drippings not only increase the soiling rate but also provide food for biological contaminants, such as bacteria, viruses and mold.
3) Don’t permit house pets to excrete body waste on your carpet. Stains from pets can permanently damaged the dye used in your carpet notwithstanding the offensive odors associated with such stains.
4) Vacuumed your carpet as often as possible to remove abrasive soils and other debris that accumulates.
5) Have your carpet professionally cleaned by a properly trained carpet cleaning technician on a regular basis. As a general rule of thumb professional carpet cleaning should be performed at least once per year (more often if you have kids or pets).
Remember: carpet, like clothing, is a textile product that requires proper care. Abusing it will cause permanent, visible damage.